• Under the leadership of Mr. Hamid Rashid, Founder & CEO of Finterra, the forum was hosted at
the Shangri-La on May 7 at 8 AM.
• The overall objective of International Waqf and Blockchain Forum 2018 is to establish clarity and
a collective understanding of the potential of blockchain technology for supporting the facilitation
and development of waqf on a global scale whilst also promoting new economy alternatives to
enhance Muslim unity.
• The awards bring together distinguished personalities and modern-day icons from the world of
Waqf, Islamic Finance and Technology, giving recognition to individuals and corporations for their
leadership and unrelenting contribution in research and philanthropy.
May 7, 2018, Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Finterra, a truly global, fully inclusive financial platform that
aims to bridge the gap between consumers and providers hosts the first ever International Waqf and
Blockchain Forum with the theme of “Harnessing the Power of Blockchain technology for the Global
Development of Waqf”. The forum will serve as a platform to explore the boundaries of new waqf
developments and initiatives. It will shed light on new thoughts and ideas, in the quest for transformation
and management of a sustainable socio-economic path for Muslim nations across the entire globe.
Commenting on the success of the forum, Mr. Hamid Rashid said, “Dubai is a budding sphere of
opportunity that encompasses the fast-growing Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) markets,
which are undergoing substantial demographic shifts and have younger, more technologically savvy
populations. We are extremely host the first ever forum here, to collectively use blockchain technology
to modernize the management of Islamic development.”
He added that “The IWBF platform is there to establish clarity and a collective understanding of the
potential that blockchain technology possesses for the facilitation and development of Waqf assets on a
global scale, whilst also promoting new economy alternatives to enhance Muslim unity”.
H.E. Prof Dr. Koutoub Moustapha Sano, Minister in the President Office and Diplomatic Advisor to the
President of the Republic of Guinea was the key delegate and awarded for his excellence in Waqf
initiatives and development. The forum was also graced by key dignitaries and industry experts such as
the Honourable Minister, Mr. Amin Pathan from The Haj Committee of Rajasthan. The attendees also
witnessed the signing of key Memoranda of Understanding with the Canadian University Dubai. Prof Dr
Syed Khalid Rashid was awarded for his excellence in Education & Practice.
• Professor Dato Dr. Sano Koutoub Moustapha – Minister in The President Office & Diplomatic
Advisor to The President of The Republic of Guinea
• Assoc. Prof. Dr. Magda Ismail Abdel Mohsin – Associate Professor at International Centre For
Education in Islamic Finance (INCIEF)
• Umar Oseni – Executive Director, Legal & Compliance International Islamic Liquidity Management
• Mr. Hamid Rashid – Founder & CEO Finterra Blockchain
• Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf – Professor of Islamic Finance & Islamic Economics, USA
• Hj. Mazlan Ahmad – Executive Chairman – Finterra